Thursday, September 3, 2009

Getting to the Internship

Just a quick nod to how I got here:

I was late seeking an internship in investment management. Back in the late fall when CalPERS was interviewing generally, I had yet to take a single finance course. Investment management just wasn't on my radar.

Then through the finance core and corporate finance I discovered that investement management was more than pure quant and rolling dice. It was like learning a new language, and gradually some of the words I'd been hearing all my life were making sense in a new way.

Everyone at the GSM was tolerant and more, much more, with my shift in focus. Professors and Career Services made connections for me, and within a few weeks I had three interviews. Fortunately, CalPERS offered me the internship in the Alternative Investment Management group, which allows me exposure to the cleantech/greentech portfolio.

From this experience, a few tips on getting that MBA internship:
  • Find a way to talk about what you want to do and communicate it clearly and often to people you meet who might be able to help. Start doing this even before you know exactly what you want to do.
  • Follow up with the contacts that people provide to you.
  • Keep your referrers informed of progress, and say thanks.
  • Keep an open mind on the internship. There may be multiple routes to your ultimate career goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment