Sunday, August 30, 2009

Why Investment Management

My internship in investment management was not obvious for a lot of people. With a background in international nonprofit program management, I got a few sideways glances when I told people of the interest. One interviewer asked, "Do you think that financial markets are evil?"

Actually, no, I don't think that they are evil. I've lived in places where there are no public financial markets. The only people who get to participate in investment opportunities with normal returns are the very wealthy and well-connected. When overseen by a competent and impartial regulator, financial markets democratize the economy for the middle class and institutions like credit unions and insurance mutuals. And oh, yes, there is that "efficient allocation of capital" idea, too.

But I didn't seek an internship in investment management only because I don't think of it as an ocupation for Satan and his minions. I've always enjoyed the resource allocation and efficiency challenges in my career. I've been doing "investment management" for more than 20 years if one thinks of programs as investments in human well-being and development...and I do...always did. Then I studied accounting and finance at the GSM, and became interested in the mechanics of markets, the methods and motivations of investors, and the implications for fields of innovation like energy.

I am not certain yet that investment management is where I will want to be long term, but it is a great oportunity as an internship. I am definitely enjoying it, and bonus - no new threat to my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment